Thursday 2 June 2011

Veselova Evdokia Mikhailovna


Interviewers: Maria Chudinova (Russia), Oksana Sosnina (Russia), Marlene Klinger (Austria), Igor (Ukraine).

My name is Evdokia Mikhailovna Veselova. I was born in 1921 in Razdolie, Kharkiv region. My father Mikhail was a farmer, his family was quite well-off for those times. As my mother died during childbirth, my father got married again, so I lived with my step-mother.
I had many brothers but they died early during Holodomor. I still remember myself walking barefoot in the snow, hungry and my body swollen. My toenails were forever injured by frostbite. We ate beets. We used to go to the market; if we saw anyone about to feed cattle with beets, we ran up to him and ate those beets. One brother of mine survived, he served in the army in Sevastopol. I also had a sister. She got married and lived in Kharkiv region. 
My family found itself in Konstantinovka in 1933 as a result of the dispossession of “kulaks”. Before the war broke out my parents had worked here in the kolkhoz (collective farm), which consisted of 100 people. They were farmers and their life was bearable then. Before Konstaninovka I, a half-orphan, had worked as a maid for the family of Jews. I rarely attended school. In Konstantinovka I worked as a shearer at the glass factory till the war.  My working day started at 8.00 am and ended at 4 pm. In my free time I looked after our house and took care of the children of our family.
The news about the war outbreak was sudden and unexpected. People were hysterical.
There was this one time when I went out to buy some bread. Nobody went outdoors without their documents then. Germans took away my passport; afterwards the police came to our house and forced me to go to Germany. Captives went to the railway station on foot, Germans watched and guarded us. Lots of people from Konstantinovka were forced to abandon their Motherland. We were transported to Berlin in goods wagons. It took place most likely in 1942. The majority of Jews were shot.
I had good masters, they treated me well. They had a large house with 12 rooms and 5-6 children. I had to watch children and help about the house. I occupied a separate room. I wore my own clothes but if they were no longer in a good condition, my masters would give me new clothes. The food was rather good; I remember eating a green bean soup.
I didn’t understand German. So my master led me, for example, to the bed and explained that I had to make the bed and wash the floor. I worked alone and used to get up early. My masters liked me because I was honest. In the evening I used to darn and cry my heart out, longing to see my father and my home. I sent many letters home, but I didn’t get any answers. I waited for my release but I was scared. I didn’t dare imagining that once I would be able to return home.
In 1945 the Soviets came. After my liberation I worked as a cook for some time in a soviet military unit, located in Berlin. Russians treated me well. I could cook, served them with the first and the second course meals. There I got acquainted with my future husband Vasilij, he worked as a storekeeper and he provided me with all the goods. He was from Leningrad region. Soon I returned home by the goods train. Later Vasilij paid me a visit and we got married in 1947. He passed away already. He built our house all by himself. We have got two daughters: Liusia (born in 1947) and Svieta (born in 1953). Of course, now our family also includes grandchildren and great grandchildren.    
After the war I resumed my work at a glass factory as a shearer. We were not paid much, so I could not afford a lot of things. I also received a one-time compensation from Germany.
My life is better nowadays than it was when I was young. I have good daughters but unfortunately they are in poor health. I often recall the war, Holodomor, and myself walking barefoot in the snow.
I wish there were no more wars and famines. I believe this is what is most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment